Known as an “all-electric” construction town at the Grand Coulee dam site, this community was the result of a planned housing program by the Mason-Mason-Atkinson-Kier Company (MWAK) and named in 1934 after the chairman of the firm’s board, Silas B. Mason. Buildings were shipped piecemeal to the site and assembled; all are painted white. The town had schools, stores, several tennis courts, a motion picture theater and a well-equipped hospital. The theater remains on the eastern shore of the Columbia River, now part of the Colville Indian Reservation, and has been significantly altered. In the 1950s, Grand Coulee incorporated Mason City and homes were moved to Coulee City, which had already merged with Grand Coulee. Many of these homes, originally built for the engineers and dam workers, are still intact.