The bridge affords a vantage point from which to see Mayfield Reservoir, prior to the dam the view from the bridge was of the green, swirling waters of the Cowlitz River splashing between walls of varicolored rock.
The lake covers about 2,200 acres and has a maximum depth of 185 ft. It was built by the City of Tacoma and named for the town of Mayfield and is more generally known as Mayfield Lake.
Construction on dam started in 1955 and was completed in 1962. The dam is 250 feet high, and 850 feet long. Tacoma Power used eminent domain to acquire most of land under and around the reservoir. Many Native American graves were relocated as part of flooding the canyon.