Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Orondo

At the mouth of Pine, or Corbaley, Canyon, on the Columbia River, it was founded by J. B. Smith in 1886. A ferry (50 cents daytime, 75 cents at night) once connected with Entiat. According to Smith, the lore went that Orondo was the superintendent of the ancient Lake Superior copper mines, and had about 1,000 miners under his charge when their native continent of Atlantis sunk beneath the ocean. According to Smith, these early miners are presumed to have escaped from their sinking continent by way of an isthmus which joined it to the North American continent. They supposedly took native wives and were the progenitors of the Mound Builders.