Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Pateros

With shady streets, Pateros is an inviting spot in this customarily hot and dry area. Formerly called Ives Landing, the town was named Pateros by Lieutenant Nosler, an Army officer who had campaigned near a town of the same name in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War. Situated at the mouth of the Methow River, Pateros is the gateway to the mining and farming region of the Methow Valley. The Methow River, draining the larger part of the western half of Okanogan County, is crossed by a concrete bridge at Pateros.

Images

1964 view of Pateros.

Source: State Library Photograph Collection, 1851-1990, Washington State Archives

1914 bird’s eye view of Pateros and the junction of the Columbia and Methow rivers.

Photo by Asahel Curtis. Source: Washington State Historical Society

1914 bird’s eye view of the junction of the Columbia and Methow rivers, at Pateros.

Photo by Asahel Curtis. Source: Washington State Historical Society