Bordered by red-trunked madronas, Madrona Way reaches the head of Penn’s Cove and bears southeasterly. Cranes, standing motionless in the shallows of the sand flats or flapping overhead in ungainly flight, are a common sight.
This commodious harbor was important in pioneer days, and the home of many retired seafaring men. It was named by Capt. George Vancouver in 1792 in honor of “a particular friend.” The person honored was evidently either John or Richard Penn, both of whom were grandsons of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. The harbor was charted by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes in 1841 as Penn’s Cove.