In 1885, the station was named Selah by the Northern Pacific Railway. In 1908, the name was changed to the present one because Wenas station was generally called Selah. The name was suggested by the local Northern Pacific agent, Edmund Stevens, for the patroness of gardens and fruits in Roman mythology.
The city has its railroad station on the opposite side of the river. The valley widens out from the river’s banks.