Founded in 1886 by Captain Samuel Hadlock on the southwest shore of Port Townsend Bay immediately west of Indian Island. It was a sawmilling town for many years. For a time, the “Port” part of the name was dropped but it has been reattached to Hadlock making the community Port Hadlock once again.
Points of Interest
Methodist Episcopal Church
Port Hadlock residents incorporated the Methodist Episcopal Church of Port Hadlock in 1905. A circuit rider ministered the Port Hadlock church. The church was in use until the 1950s when a new church was built between Hadlock and Chimacum.
The Galster House is the only surviving building in Lower Hadlock associated with the once prosperous Washington Mill Company. It is also the only building in Jefferson County known to have been associated with Samuel Hadlock.
Captain Shibles House
The house was constructed circa 1895 by Capt. Peter Shibles, master mariner, captain of the steamer “Louise,” and later master of the Milwaukee Railroad’s steel steam tug “Milwaukee.” Capt. Shibles was a Puget Sound navigator from 1882 until his death in 1939. Peter Shibles was a mate on the “Louise” in 1884. He was afterward mate on the steamers “Josephine” and “Richard Holyoke.” Shibles then became master of the “St. Patrick” for two years before mastering the “Louise.” After the Washington Mill Company closed the mill at Port Hadlock, Capt. Shibles became the master of the tug “Milwaukee,” which spent most of her 42 year’ career· operating in car barge service between Seattle and Port Townsend.