Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Port Townsend

The 45 mile side trip explores the communities and rich history of Quimper Peninsula.

Heart icon

Like what you see? Want to share it?

Crosshair icon

Clicking a crosshair will take you to that location on the map.

George Washington icon

Start or the end of a tour leg.

Map marker icon

Waypoint or town along the tour leg with more information.

Star icon

Key waypoints and Main Street communities along the tour leg. Sites you do not want to miss!

Point of interest icon

Point of interest along the tour leg.

The barn and milk shed are on a 200-acre property homesteaded and cleared of forested wetlands in the 1890s. Streams were straightened and wetlands drained. The farm was a dairy until the 1960s. The farm runs down the Tarboo Creek valley for one and one-half miles and provides an excellent opportunity to restore productive salmon, wildlife and wetland habitats. Northwest Watershed Institute purchased the farm from Danny Yarr, whose ancestors...

Learn more about Yarr Barn

The Hanna Rover House is significant because of its splendid example of advanced farmhouse construction. The house's form is rooted in the vernacular tradition of homestead houses built throughout America in the 19th Century. Its simple construction is hidden, however, by the carpenter's use of decorative details and the ability to avoid square corners and shapes. Charley (Dick) Williams built this house around 1912. Williams and his wife, Hanna, however,...

Learn more about Rover House

Chimacum is a community that was once the site of an Native American village. It was named for a now-extinct Native American tribe which once inhabited the valley. The town serves as the trade center for the surrounding agricultural lands and is home to Finn River Cider’s tasting facility on the former Bishop dairy farm.

Learn more about Chimacum
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Bishop House and Office

Point of interest icon

Chimacum Post Office

The significant engineering feature of this bridge is the steel box girder suspended span. This was the second bridge constructed in the United States with a steel box girder span, and one of the first five or six bridges of-its type built anywhere in the world. The Portage Canal Bridge was the only structure of this type built in Washington between 1951 and 1960. It was designed in 1950, constructed...

Learn more about Portage Canal Bridge

Mile: 3

Marrowstone Island is seven miles long and a half mile average width between Kilisut Harbor and Admiralty Inlet directly east of Native American Island. Fort Flagler State Park occupies north end of the island. Capt. George Vancouver named the northern end of the island Marrowstone Point on May 8, 1792. Eventually the name came into use for the entire island. The Wilkes Expedition named it, together with nearby Native American...

Learn more about Marrowstone

This coastal defense fort was located at Marrowstone Point on the northern end of Marrowstone Island. In 1897-1900, the fort was built but was abandoned in 1937. It was located in a triangular pattern with Fort Casey and Fort Worden. In 1899, it was named by U.S. Army officials for Brig. Gen. Daniel Webster Flagler, Chief of Ordnance, U.S. Army, at the time the fort was completed. It was later...

Learn more about Fort Flagler
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Fort Flagler

Mile: 10

Fort Townsend was on Port Townsend Bay two and a half miles south of Port Townsend in northeast Jefferson County. Established on October 26, 1856, it was abandoned in 1893. It was named for Port Townsend, which had been named for the Marquis of Townshend. This fort was established in 1856 by the US Army under the order of Major Granville O. Haller. In the days of the Native American...

Learn more about Old Fort Townsend State Park

Lies on Port Townsend Bay at the extreme northeastern point of Quimper Peninsula. The business section spreads along the water front, the main streets being lined with substantial old buildings dating back to the boom days, when the town was measuring its future in terms of a major city. The residential section is centered on the level top of a bluff that rises above the water front. Eastward across Admiralty...

Learn more about Port Townsend

During the Native American troubles of the 1850s a military establishment called Fort Mason was built at or near Wilson Point adjoining the city of Port Townsend on the Strait of Juan de Fuca in northwest Clallam County. On April 4, 1900, Fort Worden was established as a coastal defense post. The fort was named in honor of Admiral John Lorimer Worden, who commanded the U.S.S. Monitor in her historic...

Learn more about Fort Worden