The Port Stanley School, while modestly designed and suffering from neglect, remains the best-preserved example of early education on Lopez Island. Equally significant is the rural landscape component which envelopes the school site and validates the historical values of the island’s settlement period. Port Stanley, located at the northeast corner of Lopez Island, was one of three very small rural community center on the island. Each community consisted of a community hall, a post office, a general store and a grammar school. Residents living on one part of the island rarely traveled to the other community areas of the island. Port Stanley came into being in June 1892.