A wayside trading point once dominated by two large white two-story school buildings. This descriptive name became official through use over many years. Modern school buildings have replaced the old but the Tyee Restaurant and Prairie Center Grocery hark back to the historic importance of this crossroads.
Whidbey Island’s first car, a Holsman built in 1902 in Chicago, was exhibited in the automobile dealership that once stood at the northeast corner of South Main St. and Terry Rd.; a side-winder, with hard rubber tires, no reverse, and two speeds ahead, it was owned by Judge Lester Still. It is now on display in the Island County Historical Museum in Coupeville.