Also known as: Seattle Buddhist Church
While the history of the Seattle Betsuin Buddhist Temple dates back to 1901, the present temple was dedicated in 1941, a mere two months before the start of World War II. Temple reverends were among the Japanese and Japanese American community leaders who were arrested and incarcerated following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The temple was closed and leased to the US Maritime Commission until 1946.
Despite these challenges, activities have been rich and full at the Seattle Betsuin Buddhist Temple. With its Day Nursery Program and Boy Scout Troop started in 1948 and its annual hosting of the Seattle Bon Odori, it reaches far into the life of community members near and wide.