Shaw Island is between Orcas and Lopez islands in central San Juan County. It was named Shaws Island by the Wilkes Expedition in 1841 for Capt. John D. Shaw, an American hero of the War of 1812, who also fought at Algiers in 1815. The Lummi name for the island was Scom-em-ana, which was their name for a small, oily fish.
Blind Bay is on the north shore of Shaw Island immediately west of Shaw and south of Orcas on Orcas Island in central San Juan County. It was named because the bay is visible only from the direct north. A small island named Blind Island is at the entrance to the bay. The island is a state park but has had no development beyond four primitive camp sites and four mooring buoys off shore.