Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Spokane Bridge

East of Spokane, this was a boom town in the early 1860s thanks to mining. In 1862 A.C. Kendall built a cabin and established a trading post here; two years later a bridge was constructed, and in 1867 a post office was established. Mail carriers on horseback followed the Mullan Road through the settlement on their way to the mines of the Coeur d’Alene and the Bitterroot mountains. The murder of Kendall in 1875 by one Joe Leonard was gossiped about by old timers. Leonard escaped, only to be slain in 1877, while serving as a scout for the United States Army during the Nez Perce Indian War. By1941, only a store, railway station, and a few scattered houses were left of the town. Today, the community of Spokane Bridge no longer exists, with North Spokane Bridge Road, located off Exit 299 of Interstate 90, the only vestige remaining.

Images

Ca. 1940 view of the Spokane River Bridge and valley.

Source: General Subjects Photograph Collection, 1845-2005, Washington State Archives

Historic view of the Spokane River Bridge stone entrance marker.

Source: Washington State Archives