Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Springdale

The land on which Springdale is located was homesteaded by Charles O. Squires in 1888, and the Spokane Falls & Northern Railway called their station Squires City when the railroad was built. Residents changed the name to its present form, as there are many subterranean streams in this part of the valley, some of which emerge as springs.

The city has never fully recovered from the devastating effects of a fire in 1908 which practically destroyed the town. The Farmers and Merchants Bank, a white, square, brick structure adjoining the post office and the Camas Valley Grange Hall, on the same street, are the most prominent buildings in the town.

Images

1925 view of Springdale, looking across Sheep Creek, near First Street.

Source: Crossroads on the Columbia Collection, Washington State Digital Archives

1916 view of the Springdale Drugstore (storefront) and Hospital  (upstairs), Main Street.

Source: Crossroads on the Columbia Collection, Washington State Digital Archives