Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Stratford

This town is just south of the highway along Stratford Road. In 1941, it consisted of a gasoline station, a power substation, and a handful of houses on the flats at the base of high rocky bluffs. The 1912 Stratford School, designed by the Spokane firm of George H. Keith and Harold Whitehouse and located near the crossroads of Stratford Road and Road 23 NE, has a distinctive Tudor Revival exterior characterized by large multi-paned windows, half-timbered upper walls, and a gabled entry porch. Now a private residence, the two-story brick structure is listed in the state and national Registers.

Images

1963 view of water being released over Summer Falls into Long Lake, a reservoir by Stratford. Columbia River Reclamation Project.

Source: Washington State Historical Society

Ca. 1935 view of Princeton and Harvard students viewing Grand Coulee near Stratford. Photo by Frank W. Guilbert.

Source: State Library Photograph Collection, 1851-1990, Washington State Archives