Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""


This 3,004-ft. pass is at the crest of the Cascades at the head of the Snoqualmie River drainage to the west and the Yakima River drainage to the east, the highest point on I-90. Snoqualmie has the lowest altitude of the three main passes across the Cascades; and, in the days when travel was slower, it was the first night’s stop east of Puget Sound. Rainfall in this area is frequent in early and late summer; mists obscure the heights. Markers here indicate the boundary between the Wenatchee and Snoqualmie National forests.

After many surveys, the first wagon road was built through the pass by A. A. Denny and other settlers in 1865. Beginning in 1914 with permanent paving, many bridges and a considerable amount of construction, the road has been transformed into a modern freeway, kept open during the winter season for cross state travel and access to the ski resorts in the region of the pass. Snoqualmie Mountain is north of the pass, a 6,270-foot peak.


1936 movie clip showing completed paving and driving along what would become Interstate 90.

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

The Mountaineers Snoqualmie Lodge

Completed in 1948, the Mountaineers’ Snoqualmie Lodge is located on 77 acres of primarily second-growth pacific silver fir forest in between the Summit Central and Summit West Ski Areas at Snoqualmie Pass, in Kittitas County. Approximately one-third of the property was cleared between 1947 and 1962 for downhill skiing, though some old growth timber remains in small groves. A series of three alpine wetland meadows remain intact on the south side of the property. In addition to the lodge, there are six outbuildings on site. They include three rope tow mechanical shacks (dating from 1951 and expanded in 1956, 1962, and 1980), and a stone and timber picnic shelter with a cedar shake roof and a stone fireplace (1959). This shelter is a memorial to Mountaineer member Linda Coleman, who served the club from 1911 to 1952. The 1956 and 1962 tow rope mechanical shacks and the 1959 picnic shelter are considered contributing resources to the small historic district. The Mountaineers is an outdoor recreation and conservation club based in Washington State and founded in 1906 to explore and study the mountains, forests and water of the Northwest and beyond. Seattle businessman W. Montelius Price and well-known photographer Asahel Curtis were the architects of the organization, inspired by their experiences with the Sierra Club of San Francisco and the Mazamas of Portland. University of Washington geology professor Henry Landes served as the first president of the club and was succeeded by the well-known University of Washington history professor, Edmund Meany, who served as club president for 27 years.