A crossroads community on the west bank of the Pend Oreille River. The place was established in 1905 as a trading post by a pioneer named Yoder, who also was the first postmaster. The sternwheeler steamers on the river stopped at Tiger during that period. The place was named for George Tiger, the first settler who homesteaded on the bank of the river about 1900. A series of ponds and shallow lakes immediately west of the main channel of the Pend Oreille River beginning a mile south and east of Tiger are collectively known as Tiger Slough.