The ferry docks on the north shore of Eagle Harbor at Winslow, which is the largest population center of Bainbridge Island and formerly home of its largest industry, a shipbuilding plant covering 15 acres. Ocean steamers anchored in the harbor once dwarfed the cove. The plant is now operated as the Eagle Harbor Maintenance Facility for Washington State Ferries. A post office, established on August 11, 1890, was the start of the town, which was first named Madrone, thanks to the area’s many native Madrona trees. On January 27, 1903, the name was changed to Winslow after Winslow Hall, who established a shipbuilding yard with his brother Henry in 1902.