Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Cashmere

Shaded by locust and maple trees, this is an orchard community but perhaps best known as the home of “Aplets, the confection of the fairies,” a sweetmeat flavored with apple juice and enriched by walnuts and spices. Tours are available of the Liberty Orchards Factory, which makes Aplets and Cotlets along with other fruit candies and chocolates, at the corner of Aplets Way and Mission Ave. Cashmere’s main commercial street is lined with locally owned businesses. Mills also once manufactured boxes for the shipment of apples, pears, and cherries here.

Established in 1889 and platted in 1895 as Mission by J. F. Woodring and I. W. Sherman; however, it turned out another town in the state shared the name. In 1902 Judge James H. Chase, who had visited the Vale of Kashmir in India and liked that name, changed the town’s name to Cashmere. Today, there are two notable historic areas: the Cottage Avenue Historic District, a modest residential neighborhood. and Pioneer Village, a collection of 20 pioneer structures dating back to the late 1800s. Both districts are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Washington Heritage Register.

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Cottage Avenue Historic District

Cottage Avenue Historic District is the premier residential corridor of this small orchard community and is well known to central Washington residents. The tree-lined district developed between 1892 and 1949 and contains 52 contributing resources. Within the district you will find a high concentration of one- and one-and-a-half-story Craftsman bungalow homes, which are a direct reflection of the prosperity brought to Cashmere by the orchard industry in the early part of the twentieth century. Among the many surviving businesses is Liberty Orchards, which began the production of Aplets and Cotlets candy in 1920. The district nomination was sponsored by the Cashmere Rotary Club.

The Pioneer Village

The Pioneer Village in Cashmere is a collection of 20 pioneer structures dating back to the late 1800s, complete with interior artifacts, to provide a “snapshot” of life in the nineteenth century. Among the village buildings is the Horan Cabin from 1872, a log school built in 1886, a jail and an assay office. The buildings were brought here by the Cashmere Museum from within a 50 mile radius.