- Distance: 32 miles
- Routes: Vashon Highway SW, Washington State Ferries
- Estimated Driving time: 1 hour
To get to the island from the east, passengers must head to West Seattle and the Fauntleroy terminal. Coming from the west, passengers can launch from Kitsap Peninsula and the Southworth ferry terminal.
George Vancouver named the island in 1792 for his friend, Captain James Vashon of the English Navy. Although it was surveyed in 1856, permanent settlement did not begin until 1877. In the next 25 years, it became one of the leading berry, fruit, and poultry-raising districts on Puget Sound; while commercial berry and poultry farms no longer operate on the island, historic agricultural landscapes characterize many of the island’s upland areas.