Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Ebey’s Landing

This side trip is a 9 mile loop, departing from Prairie Center the route extends out through the prairie for a tour of wheat farms and historic Ebey’s Landing.

Heart icon

Like what you see? Want to share it?

Crosshair icon

Clicking a crosshair will take you to that location on the map.

George Washington icon

Start or the end of a tour leg.

Map marker icon

Waypoint or town along the tour leg with more information.

Star icon

Key waypoints and Main Street communities along the tour leg. Sites you do not want to miss!

Point of interest icon

Point of interest along the tour leg.

This barn is divided into two distinct time periods and construction techniques: the hog barn, dating to the early decades of the 20th century, and the addition that was hastily construction after the first barn on the property burned to the ground in 1954. The hog barn was converted into a milking parlor in 1954. With the passing of the donation land claim Act in 1850, Congress agreed to grant...

Learn more about Harmon/Pearson/Engle Farm

The Original owner of this property was John C. Davis. He established ownership under the Oregon Donation Territory Land Claim Act of 1850. He arrived on Whidbey Island in 1852 and immediately built a log cabin. During 1857, his log cabin was converted into a blockhouse. The blockhouse still stands in Sunnyside Cemetery which adjoins the Sherman property. It was stabilized during 2007. After John defaulted his property tax payments,...

Learn more about Clark Sherman Farm

Located on a sloping hill. Here many early settlers are interred, their family plots guarded by iron fences or low walls of marble. Within the boundary of the cemetery is the Davis Blockhouse, built in 1855, with rifle loopholes staring darkly from the walls of the second story. Its interior is distinguished by a stone fireplace, with a chimney of sticks and dried mud. The house was restored in 1930...

Learn more about Sunnyside Cemetery

On the west shore of the island, where Colonel Isaac N. Ebey settled in 1850 and filed a claim to a section of Ebey’s Prairie. Seeking revenge for their defeat at Port Gamble, the Haida, known today as the Haida Nation, from British Columbia raided the island in 1857. Colonel Ebey was called to his door late one night. Others in the house heard shots and groans; panic-stricken, they fled...

Learn more about Ebey’s Landing

This barn was built for Cheryl's father, Wilbur W. Sherman, in 1942 to house hogs. He used wood from the old barracks that were used for WWI at Fort Casey. Ralph Ward, a local carpenter, built the large structure. Throughout the years, the barn has been used for raising hogs, sheep, turkeys, storing the famous Whidbey Island Hubbard Squash, hay, and cattle. Presently, it is used for cattle and hay...

Learn more about Sherman Hog House

Built by the Lovejoy Brothers in 1895 who were shipwrights in Coupeville. The barn is unique on the island for its slanted, hip style roof line. All of the timbers feature mortise and tenon joinery, pegged with wood dowels. The adjacent Crockett Blockhouse, one of two built on the site in 1855, was restored by the Work Projects Administration in 1938. The other Crockett blockhouse was sold to Ezra Meeker,...

Learn more about Colonel Walter Crockett Barn

The Gus Reuble farm is an excellent example of the growth and changes involved in the dairy industry on Whidbey Island. In 1948, Darigold transitioned from smaller 10 gallon cans to large bulk tanks. This change put many small dairies out of business; however, the Reuble farm opted to expand. They added to their barn to accommodate 62 cows for milking in order to meet the capacity of the larger...

Learn more about Gus Reuble Farm